Lenny on j720
I picked the sarge distrubution from http://badaboum.bidibom.free.fr/linux-jornada-fs and updated it first to etch, then to lenny.
I have a mirror of the lenny repository around, if you need it please drop a line.
You'll need at last a 1 GB CF Card.
Partition Table Layout:
Use e.g. fdisk and mkfs -T vfat/ext2 for this.
- hda1: Fat16 for Kernel etc. (min. 5 MB)
- hda2: ext2/3 for userspace (min. 700 MB)
- hda3: swap (as you like, I use 200 MB, 20...5 MB should be enough, you can even try without a swap)
Copy the provided images on it (as root!). Beware that on hda1, you must have kernel, params.txt and jlinexec on the root-directory, and on hda2 bin, etc, usr etc. need to be on root. The files can be moved with e.g.
mv disk-7/* ./
Now you must copy the modules on /lib/modules, so you have a /lib/modules/2.6.xx directory with e.g. kernel and modules.dep in it.
Then stick the cf-card in your j720 and start jlinexec. Booting lasts a while, can be that "module alias not found" does come a few times.
If you want to use other kernels, no problem, but please make a update-modules the first time you run it and restart.
If yours jornada isn't a german one, you'll need to change the params.txt.
The inital password is root/root, there is also a normal user debian/debian.
- links2 -g (Tiny webbrowser with graphic mode)
- midori (Tiny webbrowser based on webkit)
- gpe (many small apps for pdas)
- ssh client and server
- irssi (irc client)
- siag and pw (Table and writer, dont work atm due Xserver/fonts problems atm) edit: works with Xorg
- xournal (annotiations on e.g. pdf)
- ntpdate ntp.org (time sync)
- mocp/cmus (a music player)
- irda-utils & obex-tools
- gcc & make
- and many more
What doesn't work:
- sometimes unstable when switching to X
- backspace on X (bugfix: kill xmonobut from your ~/.xinitrc)
- IrDA (sa1100_ir doesn't make a irda0 it seems...)
Used parts from jlime
Can be calibrated with ts_calibrate.
The keycode 21 represents the frontal left sound volume button, and is used to emulate the right mouse button. The keycode 22 represents the right sound volume button, and is used to emulate the middle mouse button.
In /, there is tsnorm and tsxorg. Try them to calibrate as well.
I use a soft empty pen for it.
the normal combos like strg-esc, alt-tab, alt-F4 etc. are working.
wlan is working (with wpa), yust edit /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant and run /etc/wpa_supplicant/wlan. Sometimes you must adapt the device name.
After connecting either with wlan or with lan you need to do a dhclient device-name to get an ip.
if the orinoco driver instead of the prim/hostap driver is used blacklist it to get wpa. (Update your prism-Card to the most current version!)
Sometimes it is better to plug in the card after logging in and removing the kernel modules after pulling it out again.
In general, wpa+prism seems to be a bit tricky and need a bit of time until it works fine.
Often wlan-devices have 2 names: ethx and wlanx_rename. Try both, excpecially if you get "Drop EAPOL in not 801x mode" messages
I needed to backlist the orinoco driver because of my prism2 card, if you have an orinoco please remove it from the backlist /etc/modutils/backlist.
If Function-keys aren't working, try ESC-1...0.
Using qemu for emulating a arm is quite easy, and its very useful for e.g. compiling.
Further notes can be found under http://www.jlime.com/forum/wiki.php?mode=search&t=Development_7xx_qemu_disk_en
The userland can be used with qemu without any change (despite copying the modules into it)
If you want to help, please write a mail or amessage in the forum!
- build a initaliyation wizard (ssh-keys, passwords, window manager, time zone, keyboard layout, etc.)
- Fix the backspace-problem on X, provide keymaps and xmodmaps for other languages as well (german etc.)
- Integrate a formula editor on abiword
- Fix the Xserver so siag, pw, xosview etc. work
- Full building of modules (fuse, crypto, tun/tan etc,)
- Try Mokopedia
- Try navit or any other navigation/routing software
- Search a good dictionary
- Help getting sound and suspend to work
- Help building the flash-board
- Build an USB-wrapper (as suggested in the forum)
- xmonobut deactivated, because it conflicted with the backspace, need to be better configured
- modules moved in its own package
- new packages: jinput (which handles the softbuttons, power and the front-buttons), jornada (changes the backlight if the kernel supports it), alsamixer (soundmixer),mocp/cmus (music players)
- mostly a bugfix and cleaning up release
- added a non-root user (debian/debian)
- new packages: irda-utils, obex-tools
- removed packages: most of the xserver-xorg-video drivers, gcc-3.3-base, gcc-4.0-base
- removed all old sarge/etch packages
- new packages: minicom
- removed packages: old version of libstdc++, libdb, directfb, xlibs with xbitmaps and xcursors etc.
- generic update, found an usable browser: midori (self compiled, as it is only in sid), added make & gcc
- Xorg works now (but touchscreen) - Xfbdev is still the default for now
- that lets pw and siag start working
- cleaned up the aliases
- avoids the "last mount on future" in the most cases now
- disabled the team module in abiword
Last change: 2014-05-03